Sunday, April 4, 2010

The 2 States: The story of me being Racist

ACT I
“They will be from a state called India”

Destination Chennai, I hate the heat of the vibrant city. But interview and placement left me with no choice. On the way, I thought 2 years of PGDM life took all the things away that I loved. Like football, “adda”, movies and even sometimes books. At Cochin Airport I decided to buy this book, Bhagat’s latest, The 2 States: The story of my marriage.

On the way to Chennai I started reading and there was a strong similarity I found on the first few pages. It went on till the end. No I am not talking about a BONG guy falling in love with a MALLU gal…

Why do we hate us? you mallu, me bong, you gujju and I am bihari...The answer is simple… WE ARE RACIST… 2 years in Kochi made me hate the people and the food… do I really hate the people and the food… Like Bhagat I started with a reconciliation process. Tell me one person I hate because he/she is a mallu? No, I couldn’t remember a single name. Then why do I keep on cursing this place and the people… situations may be… frustration, confinement and other issues might have influenced apathy and hatred for this place.


ACT II

I hate hostel and canteen food, I chose to eat outside during my last trimester. Thanks to Patel bhai for lending his bike everyday in exchange of a huge fee, a candyman a day… and thanks to Kannan, Anil n Harry for taking me to the MALLU food joint. Yes, I am in love with the typical Beef Biriyani and Moore (hope its right). Aviyal and payasam not bad anymore… but I yet cursed the city and everything related to it. I again thought… lets see… Kannan, well I am envious of that guy, the most deserving guy in the entire SCMS… Jishnu, well just adorable, Anil follow him to understand how to balance fun and work… Shalini, well it was always fun to be with her… Veena- that gal is crazy… Nima, wat a student and wat a friend… Nishi n Sreedevi, I don’t know how we became so close and how things broke up… don’t get me wrong, we are still great friend… Sarkar, well he is not a mallu... so forget him... and last but not the least… Gowri Potti… The biggest influence in my SCMS life… she was always there, when I did something good, or when I did something stupid.. she stood beside me… if I ever become successful in life, I will definitely owe her big time, as she was the one who controlled this stupid hot headed guy and made him understand what life actually is..

Then how do I hate Mallus? No answer… sitting in DM Travellers Inn, Chennai, I feel ashamed… how racist I was, how stupid I was… my silly comments may have created pain… a lot of pain for others…


ACT III

I don’t expect a Ananya Swaminathan in my life… but I do expect a life where Kerala will be a place in my heart for ever… I want to go home now… but at the same time…I want to stay (rests in my heart)… West Bengal and Kerala… The 2 states…

4 comments:

  1. And here's a comment almost as long as ur piece:

    We are rascist maybe because we are afraid to own up everything-new...we crib abt being stuck in hometowns bt we crib more abt an alien place...may be we are lost n yet to find out what we actually want...so ur piece made me think or rethink certain notions...abt me, my job, my 'specialization' in History...hope it helps my students...may I use this as a ref? Too good man, just too good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And here's a comment almost as long as ur piece:

    We are rascist maybe because we are afraid to own up everything-new...we crib abt being stuck in hometowns bt we crib more abt an alien place...may be we are lost n yet to find out what we actually want...so ur piece made me think or rethink certain notions...abt me, my job, my 'specialization' in History...hope it helps my students...may I use this as a ref? Too good man, just too good!!!

    ReplyDelete